The idea of legalizing abortion in America didn’t come from out of the blue.
And it didn’t originate with the US Supreme Court.
It was a well-orchestrated effort with spectacular outcomes for those advocating the deaths of preborn children.
Fifty years ago – March 27, 1972 – the Rockefeller Commission on Population Growth and the American Future was launched.
President Richard Nixon requested the Report in 1969 and a commission of 24 members was established in 1970 with John D Rockefeller the 3rd as chairman.
The primary goal of this document was to achieve zero population growth in the United States while implementing radical social change. The Report contained a plethora of recommendations that diametrically altered the relationship between the government and we the people.
Instead of a role where the government served the people, dutybound to respect the sanctity of human life and revere the family unit, it began to impose its own philosophy and goals on American citizens through a prism that babies are an obstacle to achieving social nirvana.
The Commission advanced the idea of legalizing abortion through the second trimester of pregnancy, while using tax dollars to fund both abortion and organizations that support it. The Report also recommended funding a depopulation propaganda machine aimed at the nation’s teenagers.
The Commission had an excellent propaganda model to follow. In 1968 a bestselling book called The Population Bomb was published by Paul Ehrlich. The book cover set the tone by depicting a baby inside the outline of an igniting bomb. The unmistakable message was that babies are the enemy to achieving a population and social ideal.
Less than a year after the Report was released, the US Supreme Court legalized abortion for any reason throughout pregnancy.
The impact of the Rockefeller Commission continues today even though the overpopulation scheme has been proven false. Diatribes against human life continue through the claim that we are a blight on the environment. Other health alarms incite panic through pandemics and the claim of global warming.
On this 50th anniversary of the Rockefeller Commission I joined other key pro-life leaders in signing the Declaration on a New American Future.
We support and urge the following steps be taken to reverse the damage inflicted on our nation by the Rockefeller Commission:
- Reverse the unconstitutional abortion decisions of the US supreme Court.
- End funding at all levels of government for organizations that advocate for abortion, eugenics, and population control as legitimate aims of healthcare programs.
- Readopt policies of international aid to exclude abortion funding and advocacy.
- A renewal of American understanding that God is the source of both our rights and our blessings.
- Awareness that the historical impact of these policies is enormous and accelerating and must be reversed.
- Celebrate the principle that every member of the human family is endowed by the Creator with unalienable rights, including the right to life.
Life Issues Institute continues to be at the forefront of the battle to end abortion and protect innocent human life from womb to tomb and we invite your support.
Sincerely for LIFE,