Breaking News Archive 2010
A Congressional attempt to sneak a massive spending bill under the radar this week failed, resulting in a significant victory for the unborn. Late last night, US Senate leadership abandoned plans to pass a nearly 2,000-page omnibus appropriations bill that included huge funding hikes for pro-abortion groups. Some of the lowlights included:
– $327 million for the Title X Family Planning Program, which includes funding for Planned Parenthood. This was a $10 million increase from last year.
– $710 million toward international family planning and reproductive health projects – in other words, funding organizations that globally promote and perform abortions. This was a $62 million increase from last year.
– Approval to use taxpayer funds for abortions in the District of Columbia.
– Creation of women’s issues offices at the Department of State and USAID that would likely have pushed abortion internationally.
– A directive to align international aid programs with United Nations resolutions not yet ratified by the US. The provisions are considered sufficient grounds to overturn pro-life laws.
These budget items were coal in America’s stocking. What a relief they will not become law – at least not this week. Using the Christmas recess as pressure to pass the bill quickly, a lameduck Congress tried to deny the message we sent during the November election: we do not approve of efforts to put more of our dollars in the hands of the abortion industry.
We’re grateful for the stalwart pro-lifers who stood strong, refusing to fall prey to the Obama Administration’s dirty tactics. In this season of peace and goodwill, please take a moment to thank our pro-life friends in leadership. Through their commitment to give life and hope to children around the world, these men and women exemplify the heart of the holidays.
May the Christ child remind you and your family of the significance and joy behind the real meaning of Christmas. Make it merry.
Life Issues Institute
Life Issues Institute is dedicated to changing hearts and minds of millions of people through education. Organizations and individuals around the world depend upon Life Issues Institute to provide the latest information and effective tools to protect innocent human life from womb to tomb.